Working Towards a Better Tomorrow
The Eastbourne Dementia Action Alliance (EDAA) is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation,
registration no. 1177692.
Our primary objective: “The relief of need and the promotion and protection of good health among people living with dementia, their families and carers, by undertaking initiatives to help make Eastbourne a dementia inclusive community, in particular but not exclusively, by the provision of information, workshops and awareness sessions designed to ensure that people affected by dementia feel understood and included and can confidently contribute to community life.”
The Charity is implementing the Eastbourne Dementia Inclusive Community Charter initiative
to ensure a greater awareness within the community of how dementia affects a person.
We will also be working towards Eastbourne becoming a Dementia Friendly Community,
an Alzheimer's Society initiative.
By engaging with local people living with dementia and listening to their voices (they are, after all, experts with lived experience), healthcare professionals, community groups and a wide range of business and organisations, we will gain a better understanding of each other’s needs and, by working together, will develop a strategy to make Eastbourne and the surrounding areas an inclusive place to live for people living with dementia to enable them to remain independent and feel supported by their community.
To underpin the Community Charter initiative, we have agreed a series of further objectives:
· Knowledge sharing - Ensure the EDAA is the 'go to' place for dementia-related information. Signpost people to dementia services and initiatives in Eastbourne and the surrounding areas.
· Awareness raising - Improve people's understanding of dementia and the needs of people living with it through the running of Dementia Friends information sessions for the general public, organisations, businesses, charities, and community groups.
· Promoting the voices of people with lived experience and learning from them - Work with the Sea DEEP group, part of the national DEEP Network (Dementia Engagement and Empowerment Project), to hear and learn from lived experiences so there is a guide on how we could make positive changes within our community. We will help promote audits / walk throughs of public spaces to ensure physical environments meet the needs of people living with dementia, and will organise information sessions, workshops, and meetings.
NEW TRUSTEES WANTED
We are looking for new Trustees, including a Treasurer, for the Eastbourne Dementia Action Alliance, a small but growing charity with some exciting initiatives in the pipeline.
Do you have some spare time? Are you proficient in any of the following?
• Understanding of issues for people living with dementia
• Skilled in fundraising, marketing, PR, and social media
• Experience of preparing accounts and administering the finances of a charity, company or other organisation
Please contact the Secretary, Ian Cottrell, for an informal discussion about roles and responsibilities. Tel: 01323 385 285; Email firstname.lastname@example.org